Litter Prevention is a matter of civic pride. It’s everyone’s problem. By working to increase community civic pride, we hope to help make littering in Jefferson and Belmont County a thing of the past.
We work with community leaders, elected officials and community organizations in an effort to reduce litter throughout our district. This effort is an ongoing partnership to address issues relating to littering behavior and litter prevention, including:
- Research of the circumstances under which littering occurs
- Providing litter free containers for sporting and community events.
- Development of a public awareness campaign directed at children, teens and adults designed to engender civic pride, individual responsibility and to reduce littering behavior
- Outreach to the leadership of other communities and local agencies and organizations with responsibility and vested interests in the litter problem.
Ways YOU Can Prevent Litter:
There are a number of simple ways to help prevent littering.
- Make a choice not to litter.
- Set an example for other by practicing good stewardship. If you see litter, pick it up and properly dispose it.
- Use garbage cans properly. Make sure your waste goes in the garbage can, not beside it.
- Never sweep grass, leaves or any other waste into streets.
- Sweep your walks and driveways. Never hose the garbage into the streets and drains.
- Always place waste in the most appropriate place. If there are no garbage cans, take it home with you.
Make Your Next Community Days or Festival a Litter-Free Event!
A litter-free event is primarily an awareness raising effort to educate citizens about litter and to promote personal responsibility in stopping littering habits.
ULTIMATE GOAL: To decrease the amount of litter in your community.
- To raise awareness to a clean, progressive, and beautiful community.
- To use community events as an educational tool to change littering behaviors in the community.
- To provide adequate number of containers for recycling plastic bottles and cans.
- Positively impact resident, visitor, sponsor and vendor perceptions regarding the quality of the event.
- Overall increased enjoyment of a cleaner event environment.
- Reduce post-event clean up costs.
- Decrease post-event volunteer clean up time.
- Gradual change in community’s attitude and behavior regarding littering.
- Cleaner community.
- Improved community image
We sponsor many litter prevention and collection programs in our Communities. Typical projects include the Annual Clean-Up Events, Tire Collections, Community Clean-Ups and Adopt-a-Spot programs.
To volunteer for a litter collection activity, contact one of our offices at (740) 296-5376 in Belmont County or at (740) 266-6899 in Jefferson County.
Community Service is designed to manage an efficient system of quality alternative sentencing options responsive to the needs of the courts and the community. In 2008 we developed a partnership with the Jefferson County Court System creating an opportunity to mandate community service for offenders. (Currently limited to Jefferson County, this program is being developed in Belmont County)
- The opportunity to contribute to society by working within the community.
- It gives them a chance to develop positive attitudes, interpersonal skills and self-confidence
For the JB Green Team
- Courts provide manpower for assistance with litter cleanups, tire collections, community cleanups and recycling activities.
For the Community at Large
- It is a cost-efficient alternative, which saves valuable tax dollars by keeping selected offenders in the community rather than sending them to jail.