On this page you will find information for upcoming events that include Contests, Grant Applications, Tire Collections, HHW Collections and Program changes. If the event you are looking for is not yet posted here please check back periodically or sign up for our Quarterly Newsletter to stay informed on whats happening with the JB Green Team
ANNUAL COMMUNITY CLEANUP/TIRE COLLECTION SCHEDULES
The links below provide the 2017 Community Cleanup/Tire Collection Schedules, NO MATTRESSES or Box Springs will be accepted this year due to the health risks to staff and volunteers regarding bed bug infestations. Please contact your local landfills for disposal options.
To view/print the Jefferson County Tire & Cleanup Collection schedule in PDF form click here —> 2017 Jefferson Tire Collections PDF
To view /print the Belmont County Tire & Cleanup Collection schedule in PDF form click here—-> 2017 Belmont Tire Collections PDF
The Rayland Community Drop-off Recycling Site is being Removed
As requested by the Fire Department the recycling bins are being removed from the Rayland Community Drop-off Recycling location on August 30th. Resident can begin using other nearby locations, visit the Location Page for a full list.
The Bridgeport National Road Community Drop-off Recycling Site is being Removed
The Community Drop-off Recycling Site located at the old Bridgeport Job & Family location, 56104 National Rd. Bridgeport was removed on September 11, 2017 due to the current tenant at the site is expanding and needed the two bins moved away from the building. We are activity searching for a new location.
AMERICA RECYCLES DAY!!! WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 15TH 2017
- BATTERY COLLECTION EVENT at the Ohio Valley Mall in St. Clairsville from 10 AM to 2 PM in front of the Community Room.
POSTER CONTEST !! OHIO RIVER SWEEP 2018
- The post contest is open to students (grades K-12) who live or attend school in Jefferson or Belmont County.
- Entries should be no larger than 24 x 36 inches and no smaller than 8 x 11 inches. Only flat artwork will be accepted. Do not fold or roll posters. Do not use glitter.
- All entries must be received by the JB Green Team Office, 115 S. 3rdStreet, Steubenville, OH 43952 by December 1, 2017 to be considered for placement in the local JB Green Team contest. ALL entries received will then be forwarded to the ORSANCO level contest. One entry per student.
- Entries must have an entry label attached to the back of the poster. Each label must be legible and filled out completely. Download or print an Entry Form and copy as necessary.
- Entries become property of the ORSANCO and will not be returned.
- Only original artwork will be accepted. Computer generated artwork will not be accepted.
JB Green Team will announce it’s winners December 18, 2017. ORSANCO will announce their winners in January 2018. ORSANCO level winning artwork will be modified by ORSANCO to be used to create promotional materials for the Ohio River Sweep.
ORSANCO will choose and award 15 Prizes which will include one Grand Prize Winner $500 check; One T-shirt Design winner $500 check; and thirteen Grade Level winners of $50 check. Grand Prize winner’s school will receive $100 to buy art supplies.
Recommendations: Do not use black and white pencil drawings. Concentrate on the artwork instead of the wording or slogan. Use a positive theme.
Help Stock the Local Food Pantries in November
From November 1st through November 30th, 2017 a special Recycling collection will be held for paper products and cardboard at the Fort Steuben Mall. Our trailer will be parked in the old Sears parking lot for the month to collect paper/cardboard with all proceeds going to seven (7) local food Pantry’s in Jefferson County. The Valley Converting Company in Toronto is working with the JB Green Team to recycle “your” paper into food for the hungry in our local communities. National Recycle Day is November 15, 2017.
This day and every day, we provide, inspire and educate to make recycling a common practice throughout the year. To donate just drop your recyclable paper/cardboard into the blue trailer, be sure to break down your empty cardboard boxes to save space!
Battery Recycling Program Expanding
The JB Green Team Battery Recycling program continues to expand in 2017. Both the Jefferson and Belmont JB Green Team offices accept household dry cell batteries for recycling during regular office hours. Additionally several new battery collection towers have been placed at other locations in both counties. Since January we have collected 631 lbs. of household batteries for recycling. Batteries are also accepted during the Community Cleanup and Household Hazardous Waste collections.
A special Battery Recycling Collection will be held in conjunction with America Recycles Day. On Wednesday November 15th, the JB Green Team will be set up to accept household batteries near the Community Room at the Ohio Valley Mall from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm. Belmont & Jefferson County residents are invited to bring household dry cell batteries including alkaline, NiMh, NiCad, zinc air, non-lithium button cell and lithium ion.
By recycling your batteries, metals such as zinc, manganese, steel, brass, copper, nickel, aluminum, and iron can be returned to the market to be made into new products. Plastics and paper from batteries are also separated and recycled.
We ask that residents bring only non-corroded batteries. Please do not store your batteries in metal cans or with metal items such as screws or paperclips as this creates a fire hazard.
OTHER UPCOMING EVENTS:
- BUCKEYE NORTH SCHOOL LITERACY NIGHT – “The Rain Forest” on Tuesday, October 24th. Visit our table with activity sheets for students as well as Recycling Brochures and freebies while they last !
- RECYCLE BOWL – Open to all schools located in our two county District – October 16th – November 15th
- BOO AT THE FORT STEUBEN MALL – October 25th, 5-7PM
- T. Karaffa Community Agency Fair – Thursday, November 9th at 4:30-7:30PM
- Recycle Ornament Making at the Fort Steuben Mall – November 18th, 12 Noon to 1PM
Have items you are no sure what to do with? Check out our “What Can I Do With…” Guide
~~~ Please check back – events are be posted/updated when scheduled.